Tuesday 4 February 2014

Frei Otto Soap Film/Light Eye Attempt

Frei Otto developed a method using soap films to work out the shape and form for some of his tensile structures. The forms derived from soap films were extremely efficient and lightweight. Examples are pictured below.
Again, I used Grasshopper, Kangaroo and the Weaverbird plugin for Rhino to produce similar forms digitally. I used 5 anchor points, created stiffer 'cable' springs for the edge of the surface, and then ran the Kangaroo physics to see the result. Below is a screen shot of the simulation. 


I was pleased with the similarity of the resulting form, but the mesh pattern isn't very tidy. It wouldn't be a very neat or sensible cable system. I  will attempt to address this issue in coming weeks. Below are images of the tensile form I produced. They could be used to hang from columns to support a larger network of tensile roof system, or be pulled down and anchored to the floor to create light wells in roofs. To see more on Frei Otto's soap film experiments click on the link for an interesting youtube video demonstrating numerous soap film form finding exercises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxeUFVVfVrQ

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have been trying to make something like this but my attempts have not been as successful as yours. Would you mind sharing this definition?

    ReplyDelete